Wednesday 1 July 2015

Heatherslaw Light Railway!

Hi all! A few moths back my cousins were staying down here in Berwick with our Grandad, he decided because it was a nice day, we'd take the girls to Heatherslaw Light Railway.
 
My Family mostly grew up in this area of Northumberland and for me, this trip was more about reliving my childhood!!
 
The railway is situated on the opposite side of the river from Heatherslaw Mill.
 
I have been on the railway as a child and absolutely loved it!
 
Now, there is a new track, due to flooding a few years back. (My Grandad helped lay the original track!)
 
Anyway, time to show you the photos!!!
 



Map of where the train goes and the Area.





Heatherslaw Mill



While waiting for the next train along to the Village of Etal, we had a look in the Railway room, where there is a model railway set up and other photos of trains.





An Old Border Reivers Map







An old map of North East England, the North Sea is marked as the German Sea.

 

 


The platform is very neat and tidy. Even if it is a light railway!






The Train is Called Bunty!!




Along the way my Grandad pointed out places he and my Mum and her siblings used to live.


I was rather lucky to catch a few photos of some wildlife on the river!


In the next photo, it shows the small passing point.



Etal Castle

The Journey is about 25 mins on the train, but there is some lovely views.

Etal is where I spent most of my childhood, with my Grandparents living there. so I have many fond memories of the place!

 
Thanks for Reading!
 
A Follow up post will be coming soon, all about Etal Castle!!
 
Claire
x

No comments:

Post a Comment