Wednesday 11 March 2015

My Top 3....

Gothic Novels!

Hi again for another of my top 3....
 
This week is Gothic Novels, there are so many that I love and it was really hard trying to make this list as there are some I would give joint ranking.
 
Anyways, time to crack on!
 
3.) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: This novel is often used for essays, especially when I was at university for to what extent is the book a gothic novel....
Anyway, I chose this book because of the storyline that runs all the way through and the themes that it contains. The scenery of Thornfield Hall and the Moors they both have the feel of what a gothic novel should contain, the eeriness of them both and the fate of Jane and the tragedy of her love life, as well as the craziness of Bertha Rochester.
 
2.) Dracula by Bram Stoker:  I choose this novel for number 2 as it has all the perfect traits for being a gothic novel. The mystery, the Count and the whole plot of the novel.
Need I say more....

And the Big Reveal!

1.) The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde: This novel has many traits of a Gothic novel but also that of a horror story. I chose this as my number 1, not only because it is a favourite of mine but because of the plot and the moral behind it. The theme of selling your soul to the devil and Dorian dying when he sees the monster his portrait has become are so powerful. It makes you think about the misdeeds you may have done in your own life and hoping your soul isn't as tainted as his.


Thanks for Reading!

Claire
x

No comments:

Post a Comment